Terms and Conditions
Who we are
Layers of London is managed by the Institute of Historical Research (IHR) on behalf of our partners. IHR is part of the University of London and will be referred to as 'we' from now on.
Using Layers of London
You agree to use Layers of London only for lawful purposes. You must also use it in a way that doesn't infringe the rights of, or restrict or inhibit the use and enjoyment of, this site by anyone else.
Linking from Layers of London
Layers of London links to websites that are managed by other departments and agencies, service providers or other organisations. We don't have any control over the content on these websites.
We're not responsible for:
- the protection of any information you give to these websites
- any loss or damage that may come from your use of these websites, or any other websites they link to
You agree to release us from any claims or disputes that may come from using these websites.
You should read all terms and conditions, privacy policies and end user licences that relate to these websites before you use them.
Responsibility for datasets
Only contributors with accounts for Layers of London can ask for specific datasets to be deleted. Contact us to ask for datasets to be deleted if you are a publisher.
Layers of London is not the publisher of datasets. We host datasets that are contributed by third parties. They are the responsibility of the contributor or organisation. However, Layers of London accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to the information on this site. All requests for data under the Freedom of Information Act and the Data Protection Act should be sent to the publishing organisation. If errors are brought to our attention, we will try to correct them.
Content contributed to Layers of London is under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) license.
You are free to:
- Share— copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
- Adapt— remix, transform, and build upon the material
The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.
Under the following terms:
- Attribution— You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- NonCommercial— You may not use the material for commercial purposes.
- ShareAlike— If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.
- No additional restrictions— You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.
For full details, please see: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/
Takedown and Moderation
Content which breaches our Contributor Agreement will be removed. Removal of content and/or accounts will occur if users conduct the following behaviours:
- Use the website for anything illegal
- Compromise the security of the website
- Do anything that may corrupt or impair the performance of the website
- Attempt to access any secure area of the website
- Impair anyone else’s enjoyment or use of the website
- Contribute anything unlawful, obscene, distressing, harassing, defamatory, discriminatory or offensive material
- Do anything that may infringe the rights of others, including any copyright rights.
Users may report content and if it is deemed to be in breach of the Contributor Agreement, you can expect the removal of content within 5 days of notifying us. It remains our right to refuse to accept any future contribution from you and/ or removal of your user account.
Changes to these terms and conditions
Please check these terms and conditions regularly. We can update them at any time without notice.
You'll agree to any changes if you continue to use Layers of London after the terms and conditions have been updated.