Layers of London sits within the University of London’s Institute of Historical Research as does The British and Irish Furniture Makers Online (BIFMO) project. In January the two are joining forces to offer a student placement opportunity.
BIFMO currently has information for furniture makers from 1640-1840 which can be viewed as a bespoke layer on the Layers of London Website: https://www.layersoflondon.org/map?layer=furniture-makers-1640-1840&layers=true
This role is looking for an individual to add details of furniture makers from 1840-1914 to a database to take the project into its next phase. Placements will have access to the IHR library and the role will involve looking through directories and other primary sources, gathering information and inputting details into a database.
We are asking for a contribution of approximately 5 voluntary hours per week between 13/01/2020 and 30/04/2020. We are flexible in terms of work schedule within this. You will send a brief fortnightly report on your work and we will schedule a series of meetings to ensure you have all the resources you need.
If you would like to express your interest in this opportunity, please email the Layers of London team [email protected] with the words BIFMO placement in the subject line of your email.
Requirements for the role:
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older.
- Interest in London and its history.
What we can offer you:
- We will provide training on how to use the website and add content, including an introduction to the project and project team.
- We will pay all your expenses if you are travelling as part of the project.
- We will provide all necessary equipment for the duration of the placement.
- We will provide suitable working spaces in the IHR although many tasks you may prefer to do remotely and we are happy to be flexible with this role so that it works for you.
- We will offer you opportunities for training if available to build your skills and contribute to your continuing professional development.
- References for future work on request.